The area was named “ Patershol” after the discalced Carmelites, a mendicant order with its origin on the Mount Carmel in the middle East, who acquired the closely Cambron abbey at the end of the thirteenth century. The complex became the Caermerscloister, where a new infirmary was built between 1658 and 1661 above the “Plotersgracht “. The new wing blocked the access to the water of this canal for the inhabitants of the quarter . But the friars found a solution to the problem: they constructed a vaulted tunnel to the canal.
Even now one can see in the “Trommelstraat” the access gate to the dark alley, popularly termed “Paters-hol”.